• frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

will british gas charge me a cancellation fee if I change supplier?

Hi. I'm currently on dual fuel tariff with British gas, paying by direct debit. I want to know if theyll charge me an early cancellation fee if I try to switch to another company? I'm not quite sure how these things work - any help would be really appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• I think it depends on the type of tariff your on. Do you know the name of your tariff?

• Ok so Ive just had a look through my old emails. I was originally on a tariff called "Fixed Price July 2018". I havent switched since then so I assume that tariff just auto-renewed when it ended in July? Does that mean Ive left it too late to switch now?

• Exact same question here, except I'm with NPower. I'm on Standard SC Electricity and Standard SC Gas on monthly direct debit if that helps. Do they charge you and early exit fee if you leave before your contract ends?

• I could be wrong but I believe if your tariff has ended and you have been auto-renewed onto a new tariff, the you do not have to pay an exit fee to leave.

• edited September 2018

Hello @DJ. That's a very good question, and one we get asked a lot!

There are 2 situations where you do not have to pay exits fees:

1. You are on a Standard Variable Tariff, or...
      2. Your tariff is due to end in the next 49 days

You will be charged an exit fee if you are on a Fixed-Term tariff with more than 49 days left to go.

As for your question about your tariff auto-renewing... your supplier should have put you onto their cheapest standard variable tariff. This means that you can switch without incurring an exit fee.

You can find more information about exit fees in this article - https://www.eversmartenergy.co.uk/blog/when-can-you-switch-energy-suppliers-without-paying-a-penalty/

I hope that helps!

• That's brill, thank you all for your help! :)

• What if your on a pre payment meter?
    • Probably depends on your supplier/tariff

• edited September 2018

Hi @HeatherH . There are no exit fees on our pre-payment tariffs. I hope that answers your question!