• frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are smart meters compulsory?

Hello. I'm just wondering if getting a smart meter is compulsory? Do you have to get one in order to switch to Ever Smart? Or are they optional? The reason i ask is because I'm not quite sure if I want to get one before I do a bit of research on them first.

If anyone could help I would really appreciate it! :) Thanks!

Comments

• edited August 2018

This is what the Ofgem website says-

"While we and the government think that all consumers will benefit from smart meters, they aren’t compulsory and you can choose not to have one.

Choosing not to have a smart meter may mean you don’t have access to all the available tariffs on the market, some of which could be cheaper.

If you don’t want to have a smart meter now, you will still be able to have one installed for free at a later date."

As far as I understand, yes you can switch energy suppliers but opt out of getting a smart meter.

I hope that helps!

• Hello Kerry

We offer a smart meter to every new customer, but they are not compulsory. You are welcome to switch to us and simply ask not to have a smart meter fitted.

We also have several articles on our site that answer some common questions about smart meters, which you might find useful.

"8 Smart Meter Myths: Busted" - https://www.eversmartenergy.co.uk/blog/8-smart-meter-myths-busted/

"What is a smart meter and how do they work?" - https://www.eversmartenergy.co.uk/blog/what-is-a-smart-meter-and-how-do-they-work/

I hope that answers your question!